Sunday, May 13, 2007

Follow Your Dreams...

We've all heard the saying. I'd like to put it up a notch.
ACHIEVE your dreams!
Last week, I finished the book I've been writing since October. It felt wonderful to wrap it up, even though
I know I still have some work to do on it. But it is DONE. I have accomplished what I set out to do!
Amazingly enough, in various discussions where people congratulate me, they also make the comment
that very few aspiring writers never finish a manuscript.
If this is true, I don't understand it.
Maybe this where the difference between having a dream and having a calling comes in.
Is writing your dream, or is it something you know you've been called to do by God?
When I first started writing novels, ages ago now, it was definitely a dream. I longed to hold that
first book in my hand and say, "Wow, look what I did!"
Praise God, I've changed.
If by His grace, I do get that opportunity, it will be, "Wow, look what HE did!"
He has called me to this. I know that. If I didn't, I would have given it up long ago.
Sitting at the computer for hours on end, suffering with joint and back pain as a result, is not something I'd recommend.
I do it because I can't NOT do it. I love it. And yes, publication is a dream. Of course it is.
But I believe God shares that dream. If He didn't, I don't think the doors would be opening.
Recently I shared some thoughts on what if - what if I let God have total control over my writing...over all I do...
Well, 'what if', takes practice. Patience. Perseverence and trust.
But I sit here today saying, "Yes, Lord. Your way, not mine."
And the 'what if' is SO worth it.

Happy Mother's Day to all the MOMS out there!
Be Blessed!

2 comments:

Erica said...

Cathy,
What a great post.
I totally agree with you.
What if we could let go and let God do what it in His strength?
What a great way to live.

Rachelle said...

So, Cathy, what did you do about your word count? And what will you do with the manuscript next?

CONGRATULATIONS for finishing it! Yeehaw!