Sunday, January 21, 2007

Fasting and Praying

As some of you may know, I've been involved in Women's Ministry at our church for the past year.
We had an amazing women's retreat back in November. A wonderful time of spiritual renewal, drawing closer to God, and to each other. Relationships were established and I think we all got to know each other much better.
My friend Linda has recently felt a burden to fast and pray - she set aside Wednesday to do this, and invited others to join.
So, that's what we're doing.
I have not really fasted in the past for any length of time from food - I do suffer from the occasional migraine, and I've been afraid that skipping meals would bring one on. It's been explained to me that fasting does not HAVE to mean going without food. It's really more a giving up of something that takes your time so you're spending less time with God - I think I have that right! So I prayed about it. What should I give up on that day?
Well, Wednesday is my writing day. It's the one day of the week I set aside solely for writing. I'm on the computer all day if possible. So I thought, hmm... I spend an enormous amount of time blogging, reading blogs, writing my blog...how about that goes for that day? This will be quite a challenge for me although it may seem silly to others of you.
But every time I reach for that mouse, I'll be reminded to pray instead.
I won't be sending email or blogging, or be on MSN on Wednesdays, so if you don't hear from me on that day, that's why.
Of course if is an important email, I will respond to you, but if it can wait, it will not get an answer that day.
I would ask that you pray for me in this. It's a small step and maybe in the future, I'll be giving up bigger things, but for me, where I'm at right now, I feel like this is okay.
God has much to show us.
I can't wait!

No comments: