Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Winners and Losers...

They announced the finalists today, in the 2007 Genesis contest, run by American Christian Fiction Writers .
My name was not on the list.
I checked twice. Okay, maybe three times.
Oh well.
I have to admit, I am disappointed. I know I shouldn't be, but I am.
The good news is that THREE of my citique partners ARE on the list! That's wonderful news and I couldn't be happier for them.

I really hesitated to enter this contest. I hate contests, competition of any kind. It makes me want to vomit.
I know - I'm in the wrong profession.
So honestly, without wanting to sound like a sore loser, I'm not sure I'd enter again.
I don't know what kind of feedback I will get on my manuscripts - I entered two. But I really hope it's
not all totally negative, because then I really will dig myself a hole and not come out for a very long time.

Skulking off to lick my wounds.
Remind me again why I write?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you, Cathy! I came across your blog in a fit of writing-avoiding surfing and I really needed to hear someone else express this. I second all the emotions expressed here. I'm so mad at myself because I told myself I wouldn't enter this year. Then, the day before the deadline, I just couldn't resist. I always hate this part--I know I didn't final, and now I just have to wait to get the scores and critiques back. Yuck!

Melanie Dickerson said...

I'm in the same boat! I entered two of my books but didn't final. I told myself that if I finaled I would try to get my hubby to let me go to the conference again this year. Boohoo!!! But you know, these contests are so subjective, a lot depends on the judges you get. A friend of mine has three books that have all finaled and/or won several major contests, but none of them finaled this year. It all depends on if you get high-scoring judges, at least to a certain extent.

Melanie Dickerson said...

Oh yeah, you said, "Remind me why I write." It's because you love it! When the words are flowing, when you really nailed that scene, there's no greater high. :-)

Erica said...

I will remind you of why you write...
#1
"I do it because I can't NOT do it. I love it. And yes, publication is a dream. Of course it is.
But I believe God shares that dream. If He didn't, I don't think the doors would be opening."
-a quote from Cathy West on May 13, 2007
and
#2
To inspire others to not be afraid to write!
:)

Melanie Dickerson said...

Oh, excuse me while I vent. (I decided not to put this on the ACFW forum for fear of offending someone.) I just got my scores back for my historical and someone gave me a 58! My other scores were 90's and 80's. I mean, I wouldn't give my dog a 58! At least I can put sentences together. And this is the book that an editor said she "really liked," that my writing quality and the story were good, but she was having to reject it simply because her publishing house doesn't do books with my book's setting.
I'm sorry, but that makes me lose quite a bit of what little faith I had in contests.

Rebecca said...

You write because you can't not write..I see Ric already said that...so I am saying it again. It is simple.

Melanie Dickerson said...

Thanks, Cathy, for the comment you left on my blog. :-)
I just had to tell you that I just found out I finaled in the Dixie First Chapter contest with my book that one Genesis judge gave a 58!
Isn't that funny?