Thursday, October 04, 2007

Ups and Downs and Finding the Balance...

I'm tired. Do you know the feeling?
It seems like I haven't stopped running since I stepped off the plane last week.
I plunged straight into re-writes because I have all these ideas floating around my head, and they
need to be written down! I am trying to keep on top of the housework, probably not trying hard enough I'm sure,
trying to be a wife and mom and some other stuff too - but seriously, all I want to do is write.
Wouldn't it be great if we could always get what we wanted? This puts me in mind of that television commercial,
I think it's for Walmart or one of those stores, maybe Staples - where they have the Easy Button.
You just press it and poof! Mission Accomplished.
God, could I get an Easy Button? Please?
I can hear Him laughing.
Nope, no Easy Button for me. If I had one, I wouldn't appreciate anything I have.
I wouldn't have to work for anything, therefore nothing would mean as much.
It occurred to me the other day that it's been just about a year since I sat down at the computer and
began work on Yesterday's Tomorrow.
That's a long time.
If I had an Easy Button I'd have five books written AND published by now.
Agents and Editors would be clamouring to work with me, tapping their heels impatiently while I lunch with Oprah...
My house would be spotless, my children - well they're perfect anyway - and hubby would practically force me down to the office whenever I took a break. "Gee, Honey, don't spend time with me. You could be writing!! Go on..."
Uh Huh.
And at the end of the day, looking back on my easy fabulous life, would I feel I had accomplished anything?
Would God be glorified in that?
I doubt it.
So, I'll skip the Easy Button. Writing is hard work. Being a good wife and a mom, and a woman after God's own heart takes effort - lots of it.
But you know, the more I do this, the more I love it. And when the reward comes, I know it's going to be sweet!

3 comments:

Betsy St. Amant said...

Hear, hear!! Great mindset, Cathy. Thanks for sharing =)

Unknown said...

Great points, Cathy. Although sometimes I wish that even if it couldn't all be easy, I could still somehow manage to keep up with it all. (I'm getting a little tired of being behind on my writing AND watching the dust bunnies float around the house. Sigh...)

Catherine West said...

yeah I agree, an easy button for cleaning would be great!!! LOL!