Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Light At the End of the Tunnel...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I'm sensing a theme here...
If you are a writer, you know that the journey to publication is long, and sometimes painful. Unless you write because you know you're called to it by God, it's tempting to just give up.
I've been there.
Too many times to number over the years, I remember thinking, "Forget it! It's not worth the agony. I'll never make it."
I really wanted to give up.
I didn't.
I'm so thankful for the many wonderful writer friends I have who stood by me on those days and urged me to keep going.
I'm enormously grateful to the mentors God has given me, who give so willingly of their time and effort, and actually tell me that
I AM a good writer! No, I don't pay them.
As each year passes, getting published seems to become more difficult.
Most publishing houses won't look at your work unless you have a literary agent, and some literary agents won't look at your work unless you've been published! Perhaps this sheds a better light on the temptation to give up!
I've been at this for more years than I'm willing to share with you, but I can tell you that I've recently crossed the border between No Man's Land and Now We're Getting Somewhere!
I have a literary agent willing to work with me toward my goal of publication!
There is light at the end of the tunnel!
So what does that mean?
I'm glad you asked.
It's means that I have someone in my corner. Someone who believes in my work, and trusts I can do what needs to be done
to give it the best shot at publication. It is really exciting to be able to get this far.
It does NOT mean I automatically have book contracts being tossed at me.
If only...
To an unpublished author, however, having an agent working with you means you have a better chance of your work being taken seriously at a publishing house. Don't forget though, YOU have to do the work first! Your agent is not a ghostwriter, nor does he or she possess a magic wand that automatically skyrockets your novel to bestselling status. That would be pretty cool, but I don't thik it works that way.
Perseverance. A willing and humble spirit. An open mind. And a desire to follow your God-given dream.
That's what works.
For me at least. And for many other writers I know.
So if you're truly committed to becoming a published author, put the time in. Join writers groups, (American Christian Fiction Writers ROCKS!), go to conferences, make connections online and in person i.e. Network. You never know who you may run in to that just may be a stepping stone on your path to publication. God loves those Divine Appointments.
Believe in yourself. This is tough for many of us, but it's going to be hard for anyone else to take an interest in what you've got if you're not sure it's a winner yourself.
Be good to yourself. Do not forgo your times with God, or friends or family for the sake of writing 2,000 words a day.
Pray, pray and pray some more. Listen to God and do what He tells you.
Love what you do and know that there IS light at the end of the tunnel!
And lastly, my favorite saying: "When it's not fun anymore, stop."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A resounding "Amen" to all you said! And I wish you all the best with your agent!

Unknown said...

Just the encouragement I needed right now. Thanks.

Michelle