Sunday, March 16, 2008

Can't We All Just Get Along?

What is it with us humans? We're always fighting, making one another feel bad, putting our shields up and sharpening our swords.
Can't we all just get along?

I was at a meeting the other day where things got downright uncomfortable to the point of embarrassing.
One person was merely asking questions of another, but she got so defensive about the whole thing.
Clearly she felt like she was being attacked.
I really wanted to put my hand up and say, "Whoa! Incase anybody has forgotten, we're all on the same team here!"
Being my introverted timid self, I didn't have the nerve.

So why are we so reactionary? Why do our hackles raise at the slightest provocation? Why are we so quick to jump down each
others throats with very little cause?
I don't know. In my case, I carried around some baggage for a while that wore me out. I had a quick temper and I rarely thought about what I said before the words shot out of my mouth. A lot of times they weren't nice words. I worked very hard to let God get me through some stuff that needed to go. He did it. But I'm not perfect. I still struggle.
Everyday I have to head back to the cross and admit I messed up. Again.
And He forgives me. Again. And again.

You never know what's behind a person's defensive reaction. Perhaps this person the other day felt intimidated, maybe a little out of her depth. We've all been there in one form or another.

It's much easier to point out a person's faults than to recognize their strengths. Have you noticed?
Yeah, me too.
I've sat in too many gossip sessions carefully disguised as prayer meetings, and I haven't spoken up.
I've listened to someone berate a friend and made no response because they confused me, made me doubt what was true.
I've been in the midst of a church with so many issues to deal with that one didn't know where to begin.
And the lump under the carpet got bigger and bigger.

I'm beginning to think that old devil has taken off for warmer parts. He's sitting under a palm tree somewhere sipping a My Tai and laughing his ugly head off. He's on vacation. He doesn't need to do any work.
We're doing it for him.

Can't we all just get along?

As Easter approaches, I want to remember why Jesus came here. He didn't have to. I'm sure it was a might bit more pleasant up in the Heavenlies. But God sent us His Son. He came that I might live.
He died for me. For you.
For all of us.
And He rose again.
Whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.

In light of that, why are we wasting so much time arguing with each other when we should be doing His work?
We don't know how much time He plans to give us here on earth, but we do have access to God through His Son. We can find out what He wants us to do while we're here.
Imagine what would happen if every church in every nation across the world put down their fleshly swords and picked up spiritual ones? How pleased would God be?
How different would the world be?

I'm tired of wasting time. I'm heading to the cross. Burdens were not meant to be carried alone.
If you're still carrying yours, it's time.
Dump it at His feet.
And leave it there.

No comments: