Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Stuck

I'm blogging more than once a month. That means I'm either extremely bored, I can't think of a single other thing to do, or I'm getting better at keeping up this blog.
Well, I'm trying.
But I am feeling a little stuck. I've cleaned the house once this week. I suppose I could wash the kitchen floor, but who
really enjoys that? I even did some ironing this morning.
Truth be told, I miss my book. I really do.
I'm having a hard time letting go.
Seems to be an ongoing problem with me doesn't it? Books, kids...same dif.
It's not that I want it back. If I held on to it, what good would that do? It would never reach
an editor's desk would it? No, I know I had to send that baby out. But I'm sitting here going now what?
Realistically, it could be months and months before I hear any news once the book starts making the rounds.
And realistically, there are going to be some rejections. I can't not acknowledge that. It just wouldn't be smart.
I also know that even if an editor decides he or she like my book, it still has to get the thumbs up from a bunch
of other people. The process is more complex than I imagined it to be. So it's more than likely going to be a long
while until I know where my baby...er...book, will end up.
In the meantime, I'm not quite sure what to do.
I have several writing projects that I should be working on, but what I really want to get started on is a sequel to the book I just sent out.
See, I told you I was having trouble letting go.
I've heard varying advice on this. Some say don't waste that time unless you know the first book is going to be published, others say just write what's on your heart. The best advice I've been given about writing is that you should write the story that excites you the most. Somehow, right or wrong, this does.
I hope my writing mojo comes back soon. I think he went on vacation.
When he does return, I'll get kicking.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Not that I'm published yet, either, so take this advice for what it's worth. I've been there--wanting to write the sequel when the first in the series hasn't sold yet. I went right ahead, but I tried very hard to make the sequel able to stand on its own, and draw in readers who had never read the first one. Or even knew it existed. As I said, I still haven't sold either one, but I never had any editors who requested to see the second book say, "Hey, this sounds like a sequel." No, it got rejected for other reasons! What a relief. LOL!

Marcie Gribbin said...

I've been there, too. I worked on a sequel while my, uh, baby was out in the world. I'm pre-published, too, so I know how you feel! I've set those two works aside for now, though, and am feverishly working on a new WIP.
I say, write the story that is in your heart at the time. Write it to the best of your ability. If you need to set it aside when it is done, fine. Keep writing. Keep learning the craft. If you don't write what is in your heart, won't it knaw at you? Yikes!
Blessings!

Vicki said...

Just saying "hey." Praying you'll feel refreshed. HAng in there, my friend.

Rachel Starr Thomson said...

One thing about writing sequel now: you've got momentum! It can be hard to come back to those characters once you've left them a long time.

Thanks for stopping by my blog :). Getting together sounds like loads of fun (though I think it's ironic that you're from Bermuda and you vacation here... just saying), but sadly, Ontario IS a really big place and Huntsville is about 6 and a half hours north of here. Getting up there would be a bit tricky!

Glad you found me, though. I love Rachelle's blog. Very, very helpful.