Saturday, December 27, 2008

In The Midst of Celebration...

Stephen has been in private pediatric practice here on the island now for coming up to sixteen years this summer. For a few of those years he didn't have a partner to share call with, which was hard, but especially hard during the holidays. Over the years we've noticed something.
It doesn't matter who's on call, tragedy always strikes at Christmas.
What's up with that?
He has seen countless families go through devastating circumstances this time of year.
This year we've been sucker-punched. Friends of ours from church have lost their little girl, still born on Tuesday morning.
How do you deal with this kind of pain? This kind of indescribable agony?
I'm struggling for answers where there are none.
I'm wishing for words that won't come.
I'm longing to make it right, but I can't.
Jesus can.
It doesn't seem possible right now, but I know He can.
I have to believe it. For in Him lies our hope.
I know that what we have been going through is miniscule compared to the pain of those empty arms, the feelings they are experiencing...and I don't know how to help.
I know how to pray, but even my prayers feel like whispered words that disappear too quickly on the wind.
Oh, God, we need Your grace right now.
Your Love and Your Hope for tomorrow.
If you can take a moment to pray for us, this couple and our church family, I know we need it.

2 comments:

Anne Lang Bundy said...

I hesitate to speak at all, for fear my words will sound trite. But I offer this.

I believe that we go to heaven at the age we die. If we die at 70 we live for eternity as 70 in perfection. And if we die at 7 years, or 7 months, or 7 seconds, we live through eternity at that age.

Jesus loved children, and so do I. I do not think heaven would be heaven without children. And so God sends some mortals to earth for the briefest amounts of time, so that for eternity they will have the privilege of living as children.

Such are the ramblings of this Jesus freak ...

I do pray that the God of all comfort will guard your hearts and minds and pour out peace upon you in this difficult time.

Anne Lang Bundy said...

Jesus said, "Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven."
Matthew 19:14 (NKJV)