Tuesday, January 06, 2009

A New Year!

Are you ready for it?
Did you celebrate the coming in of 2009 with joy, bells and whistles and hopeful anticipation of what
the coming year may bring? Or did you burrow deep beneath the covers, enveloped in darkness, trying desperately to ignore the whole thing...
I've done both. This December 31st however, I did celebrate. We had some good friends over, ate and enjoyed the fellowship and rang in the new year together. I don't think we sang though, shame.
To be honest, I'm a little mixed about the coming year. It's easy to get overwhelmed when I think of all that lies ahead. We'll be moving, which is very exciting, but also means we have to pack up this entire house, and sell it. Scary.
My son will turn sixteen this year. Very scary. He'll be driving a motorbike. Terrifying.
On the other hand, a new year brings new opportunities and second chances. I'm excited about that.
I'm not great at making resolutions or goal-setting, but this year I would like to become more disciplined in everything I do. I definitely need to get organized, but the first area I'm going to tackle is that of my spiritual focus. Because I believe if I get that right, everything else will get just a little bit easier. I've signed on to The One Year Bible website, which will give me readings every day. My goal is to do this as soon as I sit down at the computer, BEFORE I check email and Facebook.
This is going to be tough, but I think if I set the page before I go to bed at night, then when I get up it's already there. If I click out of it and do something else, my computer will throw a pie in my face. I'm telling you, these Macs are genius.
Not really, but you get the idea.
My writing goals for this year are exciting. We're going to pitching a new manuscript pretty soon, so I'm determined to keep a positive outlook no matter the response. It's all in God's hands anyway and the less I worry about it, the better off we'll all be. (Agent breathes sigh of relief...) I'm looking forward to starting a new book that's been simmering in my head for a while. I still haven't mastered the whole plotting thing, but I have to start getting something down on paper.
I'm going to do my best to keep blogging, even though I have a very small readership at the moment. Which leads me to one last point. If you ARE reading, please leave a comment and let me know who you are. I do enjoy talking to myself, but it's more fun if I know people are actually listening. Don't be a creep, be a friend.
And Happy New Year!
Shalom.

3 comments:

Rosslyn Elliott said...

Here I am!

It's great that you're working on a new manuscript. I'm in the same boat with waiting for replies from publishers in an uncertain climate. At this point, I'm just focusing on my writing. If I spent a lot of time thinking about the pub process, I'd just frustrate myself.

Here's to personal goals, and to what we *can* control!

Richard Mabry said...

Catherine,
I'm out here, continuing to pray for you. As I've told you, I have the feeling this is your year.
As you look at how to approach the coming year, take a glance at my latest blog post. Some helpful advice there, for writers and for just plain folks--from some experts, not from me.
And tell Stephen I'm sympathetic. It's tough to be a physician sometimes, but there are good times and great opportunities as well. Hang in there (or however you say it in Bermuda).
Blessings.

Catherine West said...

Thanks, Richard and Rosslyn! One of my other goals this year is to do my best to keep up with all my friends' blogs as well!