Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Has the World Gone Mad?

I don't know about the world, but things are just a little crazy here in our little corner of it.
I am sure most of you have heard by now that we have been plunged into the middle of a political mess, thanks
to our Premier and some shady dealings with the US.
Since we are for now, still living in a free country, I thought I'd share my take on the whole situation.
I think it stinks.
First and foremost, we are a British Colony. Unless there was a vote on independence and I missed it, I do believe we are still under the Queen's dominion. The fact that Britain was kept in the dark about the transfer of four Chinese ex-prisoners from Guantanamo, by our Government AND the United States, is, in my opinion, despicable. What is worse is that we all know there was political gain here, cleverly disguised under the umbrella of 'a humanitarian act'.
Give me a break.
So who are these guys? That's what we all want to know. They look and sound harmless enough, and of course they're all oh-so-grateful to be here. Well, who wouldn't be? But we don't really know anything about them, do we? There are so many stories flying around it's hard to get to the truth. The US may know what the truth is, but they're not talking. They're just glad to be rid of them. Talk about dumping your garbage on your neighbor's lawn...
Unfortunately whether the four are innocent (as they claim) or not doesn't really matter. The fact is, they should not have been brought here.
Bermuda, while empathetic to the war on terror, horrified by 9/11 and all the rest of it, really didn't have much of a role. We're a tiny island in the middle of the Atlantic. We have enough trouble getting along with each other, let alone the rest of the world. Seems to me the rest of the world has just been brought to us. What a great place for terrorists to hide out and plot their next move, huh? Get a tan at the same time, hey, it's all good.
See what I'm saying? We just don't know what this means. Unfortunately in this day and age, it is impossible to trust anyone, and dangerous. Of course that's just my opinion and many will disagree.
So where does this leave Bermuda? I'm not sure yet.
I know Britain is not amused.
I know our Premier is in a truck load of trouble and possibly getting the boot.
Perhaps some good can come out of this mess after all.
If our visitors stay, I've heard they want to open a restaurant.
If Ewart gets kicked out of office, I'm sure some of us will want to put the Gitmos on the list for National Heroes Day. Others may put them on the slow boat back to China.
It's all unfolding rather quickly and only time will tell what real ramifications this decision will have on Bermuda.
One thing I do know is that it's time for all Bermudians to come together and decide what we want the future of our island home to look like. Put aside color, religion and all the other stupid things that divide us. If we can move on as one country united, then that will surely be worth slogging through the muck.
Oh, and for the record, I don't like Chinese food.

No comments: