Monday, September 21, 2009

The Hard Bits...

A lot of people seem to be under the (false) impression that being a writer is rather glamorous.
Really? I suppose if you consider sitting in front of the computer day in and day out glamorous, then sure.
It's actually taken me a while to grow into this skin. When I first started writing stories, I kept them to myself. It was definitely a hobby and I had no dreams of publication. After a few comments for the unfortunate souls who were the first to read those awful manuscripts, I began to consider trying to get published.
I had a lot to learn. I'm still learning.
But I do love being a writer. I love it when an idea just slips into my brain and starts to take shape. Then the characters move in and life gets really interesting. When I'm in the middle of writing a novel, I probably don't make much sense. Most of the time I'm not really paying any attention to you, you see. I'm listening to my characters and wondering what they're going to do tomorrow.
That's the fun part of writing. There are also hard bits, but necessary methods of torture that we writers have to endure to get back to the fun part.
Revisions. Yes, I think I've moaned about these a time or two. I spent months pondering what my revisions would look like when I got them back from my agent. Had a few nightmares about it. Then when I received my manuscript it wasn't actually as bad as I thought. The problem for me was finding the time to do them.
I did finally get through them all and I think the work I did will pay off, at least I'm hoping it will.
While a lot of our ACFW members were at conference this past weekend, the rest of us had a chat on the loop and one of the questions we were asked was to share what the best writing advice you'd been given was. Mine has to be, 'there is always room for improvement'.
The other hard bit about being a writer is the waiting. If you are submitting your work, you have to wait.
A LOT.
I'm a terribly impatient person and sadly, the more lessons in patience that get thrown my way, the more I buck and wail. Gnashing of teeth and all that. Disgusting behavior.
However, all good things come to those who wait. Right?
Yes, I am holding to that truth and waiting...
At the moment I'm waiting for my agent's final word on my manuscript. If the latest version meets with her approval, then I suspect she will begin the submission process. And I shall commence the wailing and gnashing of teeth.
In the meantime, I'm trying to plunge back into writing. Thinking about a sequel to the book I've just completed, and I have a few other ideas tossing around the black sea that is my brain.
Maybe you can help me out. Have you heard a story lately that you've thought, gosh that would make a great book!? Do you have a passion for a particular cause that you haven't seen any books written about?
Remember, fiction only, and there's gotta be some romance involved.
Hit me.

4 comments:

Anne Lang Bundy said...

I wouldn't THINK of hitting you!

Don't worry, when it's time for you to write it, you'll have the inspiration for the story you HAVE to write.

Missed you at ACFW!

Catherine West said...

Very true! And you don't need to literally hit me, although sometimes I probably need a good slap!
Yes, I definitely missed being there, but already planning for next year!! I hope you had a great time, Anne!

Wendy Paine Miller said...

Glamorous in my pajamas maybe! :D

"I love it when an idea just slips into my brain and starts to take shape." This was beautifully worded and I can very much relate.

Waiting, ah, an artform all on its own.
~ Wendy

Jenny B. Jones said...

Writing is glamorous? Tell that to my ten-pounds-heavier butt.