Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Let's Talk E-Publishing!


I had a phone call from a writer friend last night. Actually, it was a Skype call, love that thing!
It was really cool to connect with Michelle since I missed the ACFW conference this year. We caught up and talked books, which of course is what writers do. If you haven't checked out Michelle's books yet, do. She's a very talented author.
Anyway we got to talking about E-Publishing. She's got a couple of books coming out with Desert Breeze and mentioned that they're actually seeking romances that take place during different eras. I checked. Vietnam is specifically mentioned. Which got my attention. If you've been reading this blog for any length of time, you'll know why and I won't bore you with the details.
I've never been a huge fan of electronic publishing in the past. Of course the dream is to hold my very own book in my hands and ooh and aah over it. (Narcissism at its best). However, given the fact that I'm totally in love with my iTouch and the Kindle application, I can definitely see the merits of going this route now. I know we're in the Electronic Age, and more and more people are reading books online. I'd still be holding a book in my hands, it'd just be on my iTouch.
So here's my train of thought:
The plusses - my book would be available to the masses (assuming it were to be accepted for publication). Adoring fans would be begging for more...okay, I know, enough already.
I still get paid.
I become a published author. Aaah.

Minuses - no actual hard copy. Yet. Not to say that the company won't be able to do this one day, but at the moment they're only publishing electronically.

At the end of the day, its just another publisher to submit to. But if my manuscript was accepted, I'd have to decide if this what I want.
Something to think about.

What are your thoughts on E-Publishing?

11 comments:

Tamika: said...

I'm just waking to the idea of a Kindle. But your right things are pushing to an electronic age.

I still want to hold a book in my hands with my name scribbled across the bottom.

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

An electronic books seems so...temporary. I like having something solid to hold in my hands.

Blessings,
Susan :)

Edgy Inspirational Author said...

I love them, of course. Longer shelf life and no returns. Plus, people can read it in Australia and I don't have to pain over ten bucks to send them a hard copy. :) More people are reading via e-readers and kindle books, etc. all the time. And now with the Nook, things are exploding. :)

Edgy Inspirational Author said...

LOL! I guess it's a pain, but I meant to type PAY over ten bucks to send them a hard copy. :)

Catherine West said...

What is The Nook? I am so far behind on all this stuff!!

Edgy Inspirational Author said...

That is the new reader by Barnes and Noble and it has color.

Jessica Nelson said...

I'm not sure yet, but I def. agree that times are changing and e-books will be a part of how people read. Have fun deciding what to do. :-)

Unknown said...

I think it all depends on what's going to fulfil you as a writer. Is getting e-published going to give you that feeling of acomplishment you're seeking?

Looking back from experience, I don't think it would have for me.

Thus far my e-sales have been sketchy at best so imo ebooks still have a ways to go.

Aside from that, you have to weigh just how much it means to say "I'm published". Remeber also that if you do go with this publisher, it could affect a future publishing opportunity with a traditional of even POD publisher as you would have already sold the electronic rights.

Its up to you in the end, but I would think carefully before you make a decision.

Jen said...

I'm not a writer so I probably shouldn't chime in with my two cents BUT I think that sounds like a great opportunity. I don't do anything technological so I, personally, would love to have a hard back novel in my hands {or on the shelf when in non-use} but it does still seem like a pretty great chance!

Excuse my ignorance but if you let the electronic company publish it does that mean that no one else could publish that work in print? If that is the case I could see why you might want to hold out...

GOOD LUCK & KEEP US UPDATED!
Jen

Jennifer Shirk said...

My first book was e-pubbed with Samhain--but it did go into print, too. I had an excellent experience with them as was suprised at how many people buy e-books.
I now have a SONY e-reader and LOVE it. I buy both print and e-books depending where I read because I can't bring my reader to the beach or pool.

Patti Lacy said...

The times they are a' changing.
I do love to hold my books, smell the fibrous pages. But Green also calls to me, and I want to answer!