Monday, November 09, 2009

Shaping Exercises

Relax, I'm not going to make you drop and give me fifty.
If you are so inclined, you can do that on your own time.
My title refers to what I've been doing with my dog.
I want him to perform certain behaviors on cue, like touching a target with his nose or paw.
Bringing back a frisbee and actually letting me have it.
There are a number of 'shaping exercises' I can do with him that teaches him to work with me and shows him that it's fun too! Hopefully the lessons will stick and in a few years, we'll be able to work as a team out on the agility course.
Doing this kind of training with Noah has made me think about all the lessons that have 'shaped me' over time.
It's amazing really, when I actually take the time to go through my past experiences, the good, the bad and the ugly, the things that have stuck. Some things that have, I wish hadn't, and vice versa.
For instance, I took maths for my entire school education, extra lessons even. I still can't do a simple calculation without freezing. Don't ask me to pay the bill and add gratuity. It's really not pretty.
But I know how to keep a clean house and put on a mean dinner party. Thanks, Mom.
The ironing lessons didn't go so well however.
It's funny isn't, what gets stuck inside our heads forever.
Well, let's play a game. Aren't you excited?!
This has been done on a number of blogs lately, and I thought it might be fun to do here.
I'm going to give you a few words, and you have to tell me what you think of when you read them! This should be the first thing or two you think of. Don't give yourself time to ponder!
If you're a writer, this is also a great game to play with your characters.
Okay, here we go.

Pink
Clock
Window
Shoe Polish
White
Chocolate
Telephone
Paper
Pine
Salt
Key

Since it's my blog, I'll go first.

Pink - Little girl gone, living forever in our hearts
Clock - Waiting.
Window - outside, where I long to be
Shoe Polish - My father's shoes. Making them as shiny as can be
White - Nurses, doctors, hospital. Fear
Chocolate - Heart shaped box
Telephone - Anticipation, dread, annoyance
Paper - white, blank, looks better with words on it
Pine - Christmas
Salt - the ocean. Stinging eyes
Key - Home

7 comments:

Eileen Astels Watson said...

I've heard a lot about agility training. My poor Tippy and Tucker are way too spoiled for me to even think of working with them in that way, and I have way too little patience, I think.

I've seen this game go around the cyber world. It can be quite fun!

Tamika: said...

I love games!
Pink- ribbons
Clock- Sweating. Anxiety
Window- Towering Condo overlooking Manhattan
Shoe Polish- My father's sunday shoes
White- Crisp. Clean
Chocolate- Strawberries (You gotta try it!)
Telephone- Blackberry
Paper- Pen
Pine- Christmas Tree Patch
Salt- Cooking
Key- Safe Deposit Box

Esther Garvi said...

I liked this one. I let my character to do it. Here's the end result:

ZILEYHA

Pink- a color she has never worn
Clock- time passes by too quickly
Window- no windows in her mother's hut
Shoe polish- something a salesman had
White- the clouds in the sky
Chocolate- never tasted
Telephone- she knows the mobiles phones but has never used one
Paper- something you'll use if you know how to read and write
Pine- not a tree that grows in Africa
Salt- bought in blocks at the market
Key- her father has one for his trunk in his bedroom

I enjoyed the mind activity, thanks!

Wendy Paine Miller said...

I love games like this.

Pink – frilly fru fru
Clock - Timeless
Window - Vision
Shoe Polish - Black
White - Sky
Chocolate - Yum
Telephone - Distance
Paper - Write
Pine - Scent
Salt - Earth
Key - Home

Now just how mental does that make me. :D
~ Wendy

Unknown said...

I don't know if its a guy thing, or just the engineer in me, but the only thing I saw were the things themselves :P

Great imagination eh? lol

Catherine West said...

Kirk, there is no hope for you! Good thing you write cyber-punk, which I'm actually enjoying btw!! Wendy, I don't know how crazy that makes you, sorry.
Ishtar, I want to read your book!
Tamika, thanks for playing and I like your list,
Eileen, you do need a LOT of patience to do agility but it is fun!

Esther Garvi said...

Lol, Catherine! Got more words? This was the best warm-up I've stumbled upon so far!