Monday, January 18, 2010

How Do You Deal With Modern Technology?

The internet has fast become the main vehicle through which most of our daily communication takes place. Would you agree?
I don't know about you, but in most cases when I just need to relay information about something to someone, I shoot an email rather than picking up the phone. And I'm easily accessible via email, in fact I prefer people email me about something because often times if you leave me a voice message, somebody else will pick it up and I won't hear about it for a few days, if ever.
That said, although I am a confessed internet junkie, something happened recently that has given me cause for concern.
Let's talk about Facebook.
I have been a fan from the day I discovered it. It's been really fun to catch up with people I haven't seen in years. Old school chums who I might otherwise never have seen or heard from again. I have a host of writing-related friends, some I have met and know well, others I don't know but I know we share some common hopes and dreams and the love of our craft, so I figured it was okay to add them. Of course there are many friends and relatives who I'm happy to share my life with - Facebook has helped lessen the distance between us, and I love that.
Then there are other people.
I will share what happened because I think it's a valuable lesson to all of us.
Facebook allows you to 'update your status' - (for those two people who have no idea) you can share whatever you want. I've made the mistake in the past of perhaps sharing too much - conveying emotions when I probably should have kept my mouth shut. Lately I find myself posting about the weather, the dog, and my lack of culinary skill. Real interesting stuff. Oh, I should add that sometimes I post through Twitter, but I don't know if I want the two hooked up anymore.
But I digress.
Apparently I made some comment about getting the H1N1 shot.
This resulted in a remark being made in my husbands office, that got back to me. I didn't appreciate it, but I realize this is totally my own fault for posting that information in the first place.
But now I'm thinking, wow, who are my 'friends' and who the heck cares enough to take that information and go anywhere with it?
It's interesting. A lesson learned to say the least.
Be careful who you add, and be very discerning about what you post online.
So I would love to know if I'm the only one out there with a cautionary tale to tell...what about you?
How are you coping with being a part of the electronic world and guarding your privacy at the same time?

3 comments:

Patti Lacy said...

Hey, Cathy,
Speaking of technology but was in a rush to respond to Art Bites and then get back to a DEADLINE.

Thanks ever so much for ordering Bayou and visiting the blog! It's kinda fun.

Hmmm. Privacy. I haven't had a single issue, so I guess it hasn't concerned me. When you live in Normal, there's not a lot of that!!! LOL.

Great thoughts!

Patti
www.pattilacy.com/blog

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Cathy -

I've added a lot of friends to my Facebook account since I started. For the most part, my experience has been positive. Of course, there was the time a Nigerian declared his undying love for me...

I quickly blocked him.

Blessings,
Susan :)

Nat said...

I do know exactly what you mean Cathy and I don't think it's just facebook but blogging and forums too. I'm sure I've been caught out a couple of times, realising I shared something with someone I'd rather not have. I think it's important to remember that facebook is a great way of networking but that many of your 'friends' are simply aquaintances so may not be that interested in your wellbeing. It's sad but true that those of us that are naturally open and sharing people sometimes just need to be a little more guarded.