Friday, January 26, 2007

Listen to the Wind

It has been stormy of late. Both outside in the physical realm, and within my spirit.

Today, outside a storm has arrived. The culmination of a week of rain and overcast skies.
The wind has moved in.
It's banging on the windows, rattling the shutters.
Out there, a full blown temper tantrum rages. Leaves scatter. Branches are hurled down from trees. My patio furniture
has been thrown into the pool, thank you very much.

I am safe and warm inside my house, but I think this wind would like nothing more than to kick down the front door, storm inside and turn everything upside down.
Sound familiar?

'Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.'
1Peter 5:8

When I listen to the wind, I'm reminded just how easily the storm within me can be provoked.
I rage at the things that are going wrong. I want to hurl things. I want to throw myself down on the ground,
kick and scream, and yell, "It's not fair!"

When people hurt me, I am tossed about on churning waves. I can't hear anything over the howling wind. Sometimes I chime in and add to the noise with my own wailing.
How easy it is to forget there is a plan.
A purpose.

When I listen to the wind, I sometimes forget Who is in control.
It sounds so wild, untamed and vicious.
Storms frighten me.
But then I am reminded to stand firm.
To put my trust in the One who calms the storm.
There is no storm over which He does not have control.

'Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him. 24Without warning, a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. 25The disciples went and woke him, saying, "Lord, save us! We're going to drown!"
26He replied, "You of little faith, why are you so afraid?" Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.
27The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!" ' Matthew 8:23-27

Listen to the Wind.
Let it remind you of Jesus.

No comments: